My name is David Ullah, I’m 60 yrs old. When I was 29 I was involved in a very serious RTA. I lost my right leg when an articulated lorry ran me over whilst on my way to work. I was on a mountain bike. I spent nearly a year in hospital. I had a tracheotomy, cardiac arrest, collapsed lung, kidney failure, septicaemia. I have a stoma due to internal injuries and I'm deaf in my right ear.

After numerous hospital visits, I eventually stabilised enough to start rebuilding my life. I joined a disabled sports club in Hull run by Wendy Watson. That gave me great hope and a purpose.  So I started to train, I gained medals at the regional, then BSAD nationals. In 1992 at the Costello Stadium, Hull, I won bronze in javelin and in 1993, at the same venue, I won silver in javelin. That year I was also awarded the County Colours for representing Humberside. Then to my surprise, in 1997, I won a silver medal in the shot put at an open international event held at Birmingham Stadium.

David Ullah

After this I retired. I went on to study art and design at College gaining 2 A levels in art and graphics design. It was around this time that I started to volunteer at my local hospice, Dove house in Hull, helping patients with art and crafts. I really enjoyed that. I was there for 5 years. After that I started a theology course at Hull University where I gained a diploma. For the last few years I’ve done various volunteer jobs at different charities. Now I spend my time reading, keeping fit, drawing and various other art based hobbies.

After what happened to me I can honestly say that the accident wasn’t the end of my life. It was just the beginning of an amazing journey. I’ve done and accomplished things I would never have otherwise done.

All that I have achieved would not have been possible without the care, love and belief of my three children, Nathan, Layla and Jerome. Now they’ve grown up into amazing adults and parents themselves. We cannot do amazing things by ourselves without the help of amazing people.